Getting the "Dumping Syndrome"  

Posted by Matt Williams

I was out playing golf after Thanks Giving, I had just bought a new set of clubs, so I wanted to try them out. Anyway, I began to feel really sick and my stomach felt like it was going to explode any minute. I went to my moms house before I went golfing and I could not stand the pain anymore. I had to make myself throw up. It sounds disgusting, in which it is, but it makes you feel allot better afterwards, or so they say. Anyway, I felt better afterwards and I left to go golfing. I felt OK during the drive, but when I got there, I felt sicker then a dog! To make a story short, I threw up 11 times that day and lost approximately 10 to 12 pounds. To say the least, it was by far the worst day I have ever had. I have not had anymore problems like that, and I hope I never do. It is by far the worst excruciating pain to feel.

  • The Definition
    Dumping syndrome occurs when the contents of the stomach empty too quickly into the small intestine. The partially digested food draws excess fluid into the small intestine causing nausea, cramping, diarrhea, sweating, faintness, and palpitations. Dumping usually occurs after the consumption of too much simple or refined sugar in people who have had surgery to modify or remove all or part of the stomach.

  • This entry was posted on Saturday, December 9, 2006 at 8:43 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

    2 comments

    I'm planning on having the surgery next month and I wondered if you had eaten something before you "dumped" for lack of a better word.

    March 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM

    The dumping syndrome occurs when you eat to much and your pouch can not hold the amount of food you ate. It doesn't matter what type of food you eat, what does matter is the quantity. The worst one I ever had was the day after Thanks Giving. You will feel it in your upper chest, it will feel like whatever you do, you can't swallow what you just ate and it will come back up on it's own which is when you throw up everything you just ate. It is very painful the 1st few times but after that, you get use to it. Just follow the doctors orders, stay on the strict diet they give you and you should do just fine!

    Good Luck!!!

    March 13, 2009 at 8:51 AM

    Post a Comment