My Story Begins....  

Posted by Matt Williams


September 25, 2006 - The decision
I decided to change my life. I wanted to become healthy, stop smoking and live a long and prosperous life. I no longer wanted to live my life like a slob, a smoke feen and a depressed person. My wife and I decided to get the Gastric bypass surgery and make a change in our life and marriage. My wife was very anxious to get it done and I on the other hand was the one holding back. I didn't want to get it done at first because (A) I love eating and (B) I was a heavy smoker and didn't want to give it up. I thought I was in "ok" shape but the only real shape I was in was a round ball, or a Rollie Pollie sort-a-speak. I went to the doctor quite frequently to get a check up to see how I'm doing. I had high blood pressure, heart palpitations and I was a borderline diabetic. I always thought in my mind "none of those will happen to me, I'll never be a diabetic or have a heart attack" but what I failed to realize is, I was almost there to getting all of them.

Sometime in May or June of 2006, My wife said she wanted to get the Gastric Bypass done. I have heard about it before but never researched it to see what was involved. So she began to research it and decided to get it done. At the time, I thought she was a loona-tick ( and sometimes still do ) but our insurance would not pay for it. So obviously we were facing a rather LARGE bill or I switch jobs that had insurance to cover it. So, that's what I did. I got a new job that had the best insurance you could get. I wanted a new job anyway and get out of the ungodly, stressed out and awful job I was in before. When I got the new job in July, the first thing my wife did was call the insurance and see if they cover the surgery, and lucky us, they cover it all. We were both pretty ecstatic about it but I really didn't make up my mind then to do it or not. My wife went through the process and got her surgery date set for September 18, 2006. She was the happiest person alive that day. I on the other hand was very nervous about her getting it done. But she was determined to get it and change her life.

  • September 17, 2006: The day before her surgery - HELL DAY

    I call this day HELL DAY because you can't eat OR drink anything for 24 straight hours. All you can do is eat and drink clear liquids. This is to empty out your stomach to prepare you for the surgery. This day was actually a very stressful day for her. I on the other hand wanted to go fishing. She "of course" did not want me to leave and I didn't. But to say the least, I was quite mad. But as I look back on it now, I should have been more supportive and understanding about it. But I thought she would be fine and dandy and really didn't need me to stick around. We packed her things in a suite case that night and talked about who I call after she gets out of surgery, spoke to her mom, made some emails and we went to bed...

  • September 18, 2006: Surgery day

    Well, the day finally arrived. It seemed like the night lasted forever, which was good in a way. She had to be there at 5:30 AM to register and get prepared for surgery. Her mom, step-dad and father met us there and we went thought the process and was sent the pre-operation room to wait for the anaesthesiologist and the doctor. I basically sat back and took mental notes about everything that was going on. She was my Gennie Pig sort-a-speak. I wanted to see someone go through it first before I did. Anyway She went into surgery at 7:30AM and her mom, step-dad and I went down to the cafeteria and get something to eat, well, they did, I couldn't eat because my stomach felt like it was in knots.

  • 11AM - Doctor arrives to give the news

    Around 11 AM, Dr. Terracina, which was the doctor who performed the surgery, came out to the waiting room and said that everything was fine and the surgery went great. I for one was relieved at that point and I know her mom and step-dad were to. About an hour later she gets a room and we can go up and see her. She looked good but she was very dazed and confused ( that was just about an everyday thing anyway ) so I thought she was doing great. She had a drain tube on her side for the access liquid to drain out of her stomach and a few other things. She eventually woke up around 6pm and she appeared to be doing fine. She stayed in the hospital for 3 days and finally got out on the 21st of September to go home...

  • December 8, 2006 - Lots of time has rolled by

    Lots of time has rolled by since her surgery and she started at a weight at 266 Lbs and she is now down to 212 Lbs which is 54 Lbs! She now wears a size 16 and she use to wear a size 22. I am one happy go lucky hubby!! She has done wonderful and she continues to do great! I am very proud of what my wife has alreadyaccomplished and continues to work hard to reach her goal and loose more weight....

    Well, that's basically my wife's story and how everything began. Now, it's my turn to tell you my side....
  • This entry was posted on Friday, December 8, 2006 at 7:07 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

    0 comments

    Post a Comment